Every once in a while, a trip to the library results in a happy accident. Like when I don’t realize that book I reserved months ago is finally available and waiting for me, but then I check the reserved books shelf and BAM! There it is!? I love it when that happens.
I also love it when I unintentionally check out a stack of books with the same theme. That happened a while back when I found myself sitting on Adrienne’s floor with four different books about school supplies.
School supplies! One of my favorite things! (Although, not the annual buying of them in bulk before school starts. That’s a little bit of parenting torture. But school and office supplies in general? I LOVE THEM.)
Since it is, in fact, that school supply buying time of the year, I thought I’d create a list of books that feature crayons, pens, erasers, scissors, and more. That way, we don’t have to wait for another happy accident to read all about the fun things our school supplies can do. (Because – surprise! – my kids love markers and glue [and glitter…so much glitter…] as much as I do!)
The best part about this list of books is that so many of them focus on creativity and compassion, emphasizing that nobody is perfect and our imperfections might just make something beautiful. I’m not even exaggerating when I tell you I got choked up reading, “Red,” to my daughter the first time. I had no idea it would make me so emotional! I was simply reading along when it hit me out of nowhere! That red crayon just wanted to be accepted the way he was! WHY ARE TEARS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE?!
So, I suppose you should beware of emotional breakdowns while reading some of these books. But others are just plain fun and will crack up both you and your kids. Really, it’s a pretty good balance of sweet and silly in this list, with something for everyone (and every mood). I hope you enjoy it!
23 Colorful Books about Crayons, Paint, and Other School Supplies
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt ( and don’t forget the sequel: The Day the Crayons Came Home)
- Red: A Crayon’s Story by Michael Hall
- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin (plus Monsters Love School)
- How the Crayons Saved the Rainbow by Monica Sweeney
- Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg
- Where Is My Eraser? by Robert Rosen
- The Pencil by Allan Ahlberg
- The Red Pencil by Andrea Davis Pinkney
- Malala’s Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai
- Jamaica’s Blue Marker by Juanita Havill
- The Creatrilogy Box Set (includes The Dot, ish, and Sky Color) by Peter Reynolds
- Mix It Up! by Herve Tullet (another good one is Press Here)
- Shmulik Paints the Town by Lisa Rose
- Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color by Julia Denos
- Henri’s Scissors by Jeanette Winter
- The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors by Drew Daywalt
- Too Much Glue by Jason Lefebvre
Do you love school or office supplies, too? If so, you might love these books as much as your kids do!