Today my good friend—and friend of the show—Jenny Rapson is back for a deep dive into one of our favorite shows of all time, PSYCH. In preparation for the new Psych movie released on NBC’s streaming app, Peacock, this summer, both Jenny and I rewatched the series. And in case you aren’t impressed yet, let me just inform you that there are 121 episodes of this show! I’ve watched them all and at the time of this recording, Jenny was making her way through all eight seasons as well.
So today we chat about our favorite characters and catchphrases from this show, as well as the best guest stars and even the occasional variations on the theme song. Also, while we love Psych as a buddy comedy, a fun and funny show with lots of heart, this IS 2020, a time when we are re-examining everything (rightfully so). So we do take a look at whether this law enforcement procedural holds up 15 years after it first aired.
Take a listen to hear what we decided—and then, if you’re a fellow Psych-o, head over to The Couch Facebook group to let us know your favorite parts about Psych and what you thought about the new movie!
And, hey, even if you’ve never watched an episode of Psych, I think you’ll still like this episode – AND find another show to add to your queue. Let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Psych, seasons 1-8
- Psych, the musical
- Psych, the movie
- Psych 2: Lassie Come Home
- Article about James Roday’s name change
- Alan Sepinwall on cop shows
- A list of “must-watch” episodes, if you can’t watch them all. (This is not a fancy printable list, FYI, though you can print it. It’s literally just a list I made for Jenny, and I’m sharing it with you!)
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- And don’t forget about The Couch’s new Patreon community
- Find Jenny on Instagram at @jennyitup, and find Mary at @marycarver.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post includes affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.