Today my friend, Dorina Lazo Gimore-Young, is here to talk about exercise in pop culture. Now, Dorina is an author and speaker, a fellow writer at (in)courage, and also a friend of the show, but she’s also an experienced runner and a running coach. So she is definitely an expert on this topic!
We’ll talk about the extreme portrayals of fitness pop culture tries to tell us are the only options, as well as how training montages show up in so many different types of movies. She’ll share with us a bit about her new book—a devotional for runners—and I share the TV shows I bribe myself with to force myself to walk on the treadmill. Whether you like working out or not, it’s a good time. I promise!
MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Rocky (and “Gonna Fly Now,” the one true fight song)
- Chris Traeger of Parks and Recreation
- How I Met Your Mother
- Brittany Runs a Marathon
- Kim’s Convenience
- Bob’s Burgers
- The Goldbergs
- Lost in Translation
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- Erwin McManus
- Mitchell Lee
- Walk, Run, Soar virtual race
- Walk, Run, Soar: A 52-Week Running Devotional by Dorina Gilmore Young
- This Pinterest board with workouts to do while watching movies and TV
- Crash Landing on You (Korean drama on Netflix)
- Watching Marvel movies in chronological order with my 12yo daughter
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- And don’t forget about The Couch’s new Patreon community
- Find Dorina on Instagram at @dorinagilmore or her website. And you can find Mary at @marycarver or her website.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post includes affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.