Welcome to a new episode of The Couch. Today I’m here with my friends Lucretia Berry and Dorina Lazo Gilmore-Young.
Lucretia is the creator of Brownicity.com, a learning community that celebrates many hues and one humanity. She’s a wife, mom of three, and a former college professor, and her passion for racial healing led her to becoming an author and speaker.
And long-time listeners know Dorina, friend of the show. She’s a multicultural speaker, author, Bible teacher, foodie, podcaster, and trail runner. She helps people chase God’s glory down unexpected trails and flourish in their God-given callings. Dorina and her husband Shawn are raising three brave girls in Central California. Both of these ladies are also (in)courage contributors, which is how we first became friends.
We had so much fun chatting, and I think you’ll get a lot out of our conversation, too.
In this episode, we’re talking about how to teach your kids about other races and cultures through media. We’ve got tons of book recommendations for you, plus TV shows and movies to watch with your family, as well as details about a cool new program Lucretia and Dorina have just launched. And because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we also get into Scholastic book orders, the next show you’ll want to binge on Netflix, and charcuterie boards. (Yes, again.) All right, friends. Let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Everything & Everywhere by Marc Martin
- All the Colors We Are by Katie Kissinger
- Mira, Royal Detective on Disney Junior
- My Breakfast with Jesus by Tina Cho
- The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad and S. K. Ali
- Under My Hijab by Hena Khan
- Cora Cooks Pancit by Dorina Lazo Gilmore-Young
- Eyes That Kiss in the Corners by Joanna Ho
- Don’t Touch My Hair! by Sharee Miller
- Wanda by Sihle Nontshokweni and Mathabo Tlali
- Mindy Kim series by Lyla Lee
- Any Day with You by Mae Respicio
- KC Undercover on Disney+
- Global Glory Chasers
- Charcuterie boards
- High on the Hog (Netflix)
- Scholastic book orders
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Lucretia on Instagram or at Brownicity, and find Dorina on Instagram or at dorinagilmore.com. And you can find me on Instagram or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post may include affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.