Welcome to a new episode of The Couch! Today I’m here with my good friend and good friend of the show, Amanda White. As you know from at least 10 other episodes, Amanda is a blogger and the author of Truth in the Tinsel, an Advent experience for families. Also one of my oldest internet friends and favorite people in general.
This week, we’re talking about something unexpected to anyone who knows us and our deep, abiding love of fiction—memoirs. We’re talking about memoirs! What they are (how they’re different than autobiographies or collections of essays or maybe they aren’t?), which ones we’ve read and loved, and the ones we hope to read soon. And because we’re friends for real but don’t always agree on all the things, we talk about some books that come from differing perspectives and what that means for us as readers, friends, and people.
And, of course, because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we also get into rewatching favorite shows with our kids, frozen breakfast sandwiches, and the art of stand-up comedy. Among other things. It’s a good talk, and I think you’re going to like it. I’m glad you’re here, friends. Let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- The Diary of Anne Frank
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi
- Through the Storm by Lynne Spears
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod
- Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist
- Gay Girl Good God by Jackie Hill Perry
- Here For It by R. Eric Thomas
- Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
- My Wynter Season by Jonathan Pitts
- Choose Joy by Sara Frankl and Mary Carver – only $1.99 on Kindle!
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Sweet Like Jasmine by Bonnie Gray
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Amanda on Goodreads, Instagram, or at ohamanda.com. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post includes affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.