What have you been watching on TV lately? That is what I’m here to talk about this week, along with my good friend and friend of the show, Kathi Lipp.
Kathi is an author, speaker, and my kindred spirit when it comes to TV shows. So when I decided to talk about all the new shows that have come out this year and are coming out in the next month or so, I knew Kathi would be the exact right person to chat with.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we also get into soup recipes, romantic comedies, and podcasts.
Okay, get ready to program your DVR or load up your streaming queues. It’s time to talk TV!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Pivoting (Fox)
- Single Drunk Female (Freeform)
- Abbott Elementary (ABC)
- Somebody Somewhere (HBO Max)
- How I Met Your Father (Hulu)
- Murderville (Netflix)
- The Afterparty (Apple TV+)
- American Auto (NBC)
- An Abundant Place: Daily Retreats for the Woman Who Can’t Get Away
- Empowered: More of Him for All of You
- Fair Game (podcast)
- The Rise & Fall of Mars Hill (podcast)
- In from the Cold (Netflix)
- Suspicion (Apple TV+)
- Bel-Air (NBC)
- Severance (Apple TV+)
- The Tourist (HBO Max, 3/3)
- Life & Beth (Hulu, 3/18)
THE NEW SHOWS WE DIDN’T GET TO:
- The Grand Crew (NBC)
- The Cleaning Lady (Fox)
- Reacher (Prime)
- Astrid & Lily Save the World (SyFy)
- Wolf Like Me (Peacock)
- The Endgame (NBC, 2/21)
- Pachinko (Apple TV+, 3/25)
- Welcome to Flatch (Fox, 3/17)
- Sabbath and soup (scroll down for Kathi’s recipe for tomato, gin, and bacon soup!)
- Chicken enchilada soup
- Marry Me (theaters or Peacock)
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Kathi in her Clutter Free Academy community or at kathilipp.com. You can find me on Instagram at @marycarver on Instagram, in The Couch Facebook group, or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post includes affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Kathi’s Tomato, Bacon, & Gin Soup Recipe
My only recommendation? Double the recipe. You will want to have this with a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch later in the week. Promise.
READY IN: Less than an hour
SERVES: 4 (you should double it – trust me…)
- 1 28 oz can peeled tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter
- 4 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup gin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 t chives, diced
- Combine tomato, garlic, thyme, paprika, sugar in a blender and puree into a liquid.
- In a soup pot, sauté bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels, but leave the drippings in the pot.
- Add butter to pan with bacon drippings, melt butter, add mushrooms and sauté until golden.
- Add gin and bacon, stir, add tomato sauce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cream, season with salt and pepper, top with chives.
- Serve as appetizer, or alongside a hearty salad.
- Oh, and if you’ve read this far, one more tip: don’t spill the gin into the open flame in your gas stove. And if you do? Turn off the stove. You’re welcome.