While most of us can admire and look up to superheroes like Wonder Woman or oh, I don’t know, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, we can’t necessarily relate to them. I mean, I don’t know about you, but I was not raised on an island of Amazons, trained to be a warrior, and given accessories that literally deflect bullets.
So while my good friend (and good friend of the show) Jenny Rapson and I have long enjoyed talking about the fierce female characters we love (see episode 7 of this podcast for an hour-long example of this), today we decided to talk about a different group of strong women. The women who have faced challenges, who are vulnerable, who are struggling in one area or another—but still manage to face the day with determination, perseverance, and strength.
If you’re looking for a show about a strong woman, THIS is the episode and the list for you.
And of course, yes, this is still The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, so we also talk about documentaries, movies about women of a certain age, and why I may be watching NCIS until the day I die. It is, as always, a good time, so let’s get started!
SHOWS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Gilded Age (HBO Max)
- Dead to Me (Netflix)
- The Crown (Netflix)
- Somebody Somewhere (HBO Max)
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)
- NCIS (CBS)
- The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
- Kung Fu (The CW)
- Mare of Eastown (HBO Max)
- Hacks (HBO Max)
- Sweet Magnolias (Netflix)
- The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
- Single Drunk Female (Freeform)
- Miss Scarlet & the Duke (PBS)
- Impeachment: American Crime Story (FX)
- The Couch Podcast #7 – Fierce Female Leads with Jenny Rapson
- Designing Women
- Grace & Frankie
- Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin
- WeCrashed on Apple TV+
- POMS and Wild Oats (movies on Netflix)
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Jenny on Twitter and her website. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post may include affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.