Remember last week, when I talked about a superhero series? And a few months before when I talked about a superhero movie? And several weeks before that, when I talked about superheroes yet again? Why am I so obsessed with superheroes?
To be fair, it seems like the whole world of entertainment and pop culture is obsessed with superheroes, so I’m not exactly alone. My friend, Tara Cole, is with me too. Tara is a teacher, author, and podcaster—as well as a mom of three boys. Her family is maybe even more into superheroes than I am! So today we’re talking about what it is about these stories that keeps us coming back for more, and then we share some superhero movies and series for younger kids who might not be ready for the more intense action of Marvel and DC movies.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where side notes and rabbit trails are always welcome, we also chat about new podcasts, YA books, and the best book Tara has read all year.
And if you’re keeping track, you already know my book, Prayers from the Parking Lot: 50 Short Reflections for Moms on the Go, is coming out next week. So of course this episode is sponsored by that book. If you’ve ever found yourself hiding in the car, taking the long way home, or sitting in the parking lot for just a minute, okay?—this book is for you. God loves us so much that He meets us wherever we are, whenever we need Him, and sometimes that means we are praying in the parking lot. Find out more and order your copy at marycarver.com/parkinglot.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Caught Up in a Story by Sarah Clarkson
- Everyday Prayers for the School Year by Tara Cole
- Prayers from the Parking Lot by Mary Carver
- PJ Masks
- Paw Patrol
- Rescue Bots
- The Rocketeer
- DC Super Hero Girls
- Lego Batman
- Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
- Big Hero 6
- Ultra Violet & Black Scorpion
- Spy Kids
- We Can Be Heroes
- The Incredibles
- Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan
- The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton
- Pod Meets World podcast
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Tara on her podcast, Over a Cup, on Instagram at @taralcole, or at TaraLCole.com. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!