Have you seen the new Black Panther movie yet? Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is making a somewhat quieter splash than the first movie featuring T’Challa did, but it’s doing well in the box office and also prompting quite a few debates amongst fans.
One of the biggest and most educated superhero fans I know is my friend Theo, and he’s joining me this week to break down the newest Marvel film.
Theo Davis is a local friend and also one of the pastors at my church, but he’s also an artist, a gamer, and an avid consumer of all things comic and superhero. Basically, he was the perfect person to invite to The Couch to process my own reaction to this movie and examine what worked, what didn’t, and why.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where side notes and rabbit trails are always welcome, we also discuss a new video game (or, if you’re not old like me, a new game), fast food breakfast, and all the evidence we need that carbs are good.
We’re going to dive into Black Panther, but before we do . . . if you enjoy movie reviews, Couch-style, you should join me over in The Couch Patreon community! Right now, during holiday movie season, friends and I are breaking down all the new holiday movies we’re watching each week. And all year long, Patreon members get a detailed monthly what to watch guide, a monthly virtual movie watch party, a bonus podcast episode, and a list of other perks. Sign up now at patreon.com/thecouch, and you’ll get those holiday movie reviews plus the 2022 Hooked on Holiday Movies Bundle.
All right, let’s get started.
MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Theo’s Facebook review of Black Panther Wakanda Forever
- Episode #77: Diversity in the MCU with Michelle Reyes
- Episode #85: Why is Shang-Chi Such a Big Deal with Michelle Reyes & Tasha Jun
- Episode #126: Talking about Ms. Marvel with Tasha Jun
- Tunic (Xbox game)
- Various fast food breakfast burritos
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Theo on Instagram at @theo_davis or @TheDavisArts, or over on Facebook. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!