Netflix is at it again! Recently, Netflix has released several new adaptations of kids’ books, and I am here for it. Lyle, Lyle Crocodile was originally released in the theater and, I’ll confess, isn’t my favorite. But Lockwood & Co, a series about British teen ghost hunters that’s based on a book series, is fantastic. And since The Magician’s Elephant, which just came out this week, is based on a book by the wonderful Kate DiCamillo, I have high hopes for this animated film.
NOTE: Lockwood & Co. is excellent, but it’s not for little kids. It’s pretty creepy, and while every family is different, I’d say it’s best for 12-13 and older. I personally, as a grown adult, found some scenes a little scary! As always, I recommend consulting Common Sense Media to help you make decisions about what to watch.
With all that in mind, and some scheduling issues making new episodes a struggle over here, I thought it was the perfect time to bring back an episode from last year. In episode #113, I was once again joined by my friend (and friend of the show) Latasha Ferguson, a speaker, writer, podcast host, educator, and mom. She’s super knowledgeable about movies and books for kids, plus super fun too!
And of course, because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we’ll also get into coffee, other podcasts, and something called a “15-minute rule.” It’s a good one to enjoy again this year, so let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Couch Podcast episode #70 with Latasha Ferguson (about what to stream right now)
- The Couch Podcast episode #52 with Amanda White (more about children’s book’s adaptations)
- The Couch Podcast episode #108 with Tasha Jun & Michelle Reyes (about Turning Red)
- Everything Everything
- Peter Rabbit
- Grace P. Cho
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- The Princess Diaries books
- Spinoff of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
- This scene from Designing Women
- Perspective on the cancellation of BSC
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Latasha on Instagram at @latashamferguson, on her podcast Overcome to Become, and at latashaferguson.com. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post may include affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download