As we head into the entertaining season, I’ve been thinking about my recipe binder. It’s full of delicious recipes, some with beautiful photos and many with just a handful of ingredients (that’s my favorite kind). And yet, when it comes down to crunch time, so often I just stick to my tried and true snacks. Here they are:
- Seven Layer Dip – Let’s count the layers: refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, olives (ick – I only put them on because I’m such a rule/recipe follower!), green onions, and . . . what is the seventh layer? I can never remember without that recipe in front of me!
- Tortilla Rolls – This is one of my very favorite things to make and to munch on. The problem? Leftovers. Because I eat them. All.
- Rotel Dip – I do it the easy way, with just Velveeta and Rotel (diced tomatoes and chilies to you all who don’t have Rotel). But I know Mark likes the way our friend Mandy makes it better – with ground beef in it. He’s even been known to eat her dip that has black beans thrown in. Perhaps I should branch out next time!
- Chips and Salsa – This is a variation on #3, I suppose. And maybe the easiest thing to serve ever. But it works.
- Carrots, Celery & Ranch Dip – I’m always thinking that I should add other veggies, like bell peppers or cherry tomatoes. But you know what? I keep sticking to the traditional ones – because that’s what people always eat!
- Beer Bread & Dill Dip – Okay, so this isn’t so much a regular dish at my house as, say, M&Ms are. But since I had my Tastefully Simple party and got some beer bread mix, well, it’s hard to resist! (However, as I unfortunately learned over the weekend, avoid the light dill dip. It’s no good and not worth it.)
- Crescent Roll Appetizers – I’ve never actually made these. But my brother makes them pretty often, and they are Quite. Tasty.
- Brownies – Do you have a from-scratch recipe? Perhaps one that’s been passed down through the generations or something you got from a fancy-schmancy cookbook? I’d put my straight out of the box fudgy brownies up against yours any day! Because I have a secret, and it works. Oh, it works. My brownies. Are. Delicious.
- Rice Krispy Treats – Yep, I’m high class. But they’re darned good. So there.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – The kind that come in a package from the refrigerated section. The ones you break apart and pop in the oven. Those. I love ‘em. And so do my guests.
So that’s it. It’s not fancy or special or, as I mentioned, high class. But it’s pretty much my repertoire of party snacks.
What do you feed people at parties?
My friend Sandy writes a blog about “real entertaining for real people.” I’m pretty sure my box brownies and plain veggies and store-bought dip work just fine in her book.
Not that I’m in her actual book.
Oh, that’s right. She just wrote a book! If you entertain more like me than Martha, check out The Reluctant Entertainer: Every Woman’s Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality by Sandy Coughlin. And you can check out my guest post at her blog, Reluctant Entertainer, today!
This post will be linked to OhAmanda’s Top Ten Tuesday.
Oh how cool, you guest posting girl!
I like appetizers. A lot. One of my favorites is goat cheese with sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts–you bake it in the oven and get a yummy spread for crackers. It's somewhere on my blog–don't know where.
P.S. the 7th layer is CHEESE, silly!! :)
Your Seven Layer Dip is the best ever!!! You have to make it sometime for small group!! My favorite party snack is Buffalo Chicken dip w tortilla chips! Yummy!
never had seven layer dip, but could layer #7 possibly be cheese?
i'm so glad you didn't have pictures to go along with everything, because i'm hungry enough just reading the descriptions!
*darnit! why didn't i make that box of brownies last night…!*
oh, and i would SO eat all the bell peppers. red and orange are the best!
For parties, I always make brownies (from a box, gasp!) and they're everyones fave! Also caramel popcorn(easy, made with melted marshmallows and other ingreds)is a hit. My black bean and sweet pepper dip is a crowd pleaser.
Sounds like we'd do well at the same parties! I just mentioned this same topic on a smaller scale as part of a "get to know me" post today.
Those break-and-bake cookies are probably better than the from scratch cookies. I adore them.
I love party food. All kinds.
YAY for you guest posting!
I can't wait to go read!
several things: what is your brownie trick? Mine is to eat them really fast. ha!
I'm with Amanda; I love all party foods.
I do add peppers in with my ranch, though, because my kids like those. Whose children are they? I don't know…
I love chips and salsa. They are my weakness.
And who doesn't have Rotel? How could you live without it. And you need some sausage in there, sista. I will bring some to Blissdom. Not really, but that sounds fantastic, doesn't it?
I just love food in general! So it all sounds good. :)
Thanks for being my guest today, Mary!
1 and 2 are impossible for me to resist. I seriously would eat the whole plate. I've never made 7-layer dip, but I absolutely adore it! (as long as it is made without the onions…onions make me sick). I purposefully have never made it because I really think I would eat the whole dip myself…
I'm not sure I've had your 7 layer dip. Apparently you save that for your friends and not the fam. I have Lauren's Mom's recipe for taco dip that's much the same, but with fewer layers…and like the creation of days 1-6…it is GOOD.
Thanks for the shout out on the crescent rolls. We've taken those to a few parties up here. People always like them. We're going to branch out for a party this Saturday and give bacon-wrapped little smokies with brown sugar on top a try. Change it up a bit.
Now about these break apart chocolate chip cookies. I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with Oh Amanda and say that my from scratch chocolate chip cookies are better than anything in your grocer's freezer. And, big bonus…they are a Martha recipe.
And as for your Rice Crispy treats. I'm not a big fan. I think I got burned out on those when we would have potlucks at UCP and Mrs. Sloop would make them. I think I just ate one too many. Plus, I think they are the one thing I can't figure out how to make. It doesn't matter how you tell me to make them, they just never turn out.
your blog makes me hungry!
so not good for my diet!
Seriously – when is the party? I'm starving!!! I think I love every single thing on your list!