Do you see those expectant eyes? Looking at me? Asking me, “What are we going to do in the morning, Mama?”
The end of preschool kind of snuck up on me. All of a sudden, I had all the time in the world to spend with my question-asking, toy-scattering, outdoors-loving child.
I’m not going to lie. I was kind of freaked out at first. But as soon as I started researching fun (and free) activities and making plans for our summer, I got a little more excited. I know, I know. That could only sound nerdier if I told you that I created a Summer Activity Spreadsheet.
I didn’t! (But I may have probably thought about it.)
I did overwhelm a fellow preschool mom with my planning crazy. But, in my defense, another mom was impressed. Or seemed to be. Over e-mail. I don’t know. But I’ve made some plans. Here they are:
1. Swim lessons: We started this last weekend (see photo above). I was really nervous that we’d waited too long and that she’d freak out in the water. But I should’ve known: this is the child who has loved taking a bath from day one. She LOVED swim lessons and threw a fit when it was time to leave!
2. Zoo: I planned a little field trip to the zoo for next week. That was before I heard talk about “the hottest June of all time.”
3. State fair: We went to the Iowa State Fair last year and had fun, but Mark didn’t get to go with us. This year, we’re all going and we’re going for a longer time. Here’s hoping we’re not gearing up for the hottest August of all time.
4. Cupcake bakery: Do I really need to explain this one?
5. Lots of library programs: Juggling, magicians, fancy storytellers, musicians, wild animals – our libraries do it all around here! And, oh yeah, we’re signed up for the summer reading program so Annalyn can earn three free books.
6. Mr. Stinky Feet concert: Do you know Jim Cosgrove, a.k.a. Mr. Stinky Feet? He’s a big deal here in Kansas City, but we’ve never seen him. I can’t wait for this concert (which is actually a library program)!
7. A couple crafts: I don’t know what. But I’m putting it on the list anyway.
8. A little baking: Considering the dangerous loaf of banana bread currently cooling on my stove right now, I think I should add an 8b: Find someone to give baked goods to.
9. Some swimming: We don’t have a swimming pool in our backyard. We do have a veritable swamp, but it’s not really conducive to swimming, you know. So, I’m planning to finagle some invites to friends’ pools and check out the community pool, too. And possibly break out the old water hose if I have to. (Remember? Hottest stinking month of June e-v-e-r?)
10. Disney World: Yes, that’s right! We’re going to Princess Paradise (which, unfortunately, is located in Florida. In the summer. But I digress.) later this month. Rest assured there will be photos. Lots of photos.
This list isn’t exhaustive. I’m also looking forward to a trip to Des Moines in which I will watch all 28 Harry Potter movies. (I’m kidding. I know there are only 16 movies.) (Again. KIDDING.) And we’ve got a whole list of other fun, free or mostly free things to do around town. What are YOUR plans for the summer?
This post will be linked to Top Ten Tuesday at OhAmanda.