I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’ve been experimenting with a little old-school blogging lately. I’ve published an old-fashioned list post, an almost-wordless post with lots of photos, and a random rant about technology. Sadly, based on the response from you all, you aren’t totally digging this experiment.
And I respect that. But before I say farewell to this retro phase of mine, I’ve got to answer a few questions. Eleven questions, to be exact. Because my friend (who will be called HM here and is a real-life friend-of-a-friend and one of my very first blogging friends) has tagged me in an 11-Question Meme.
Don’t fret. I’m not about to tag anyone else. No need to yell, “Not it!” But I do hope you weigh in on at least one of these questions in the comments!
- What is your favorite color? Red and turquoise are my favorites. Unless we’re talking crayons, and then it’s burnt sienna all the way.
- If you could teach a dog a new trick, what would it be? To not smell like a dog. Duh.
- Do you enjoy singing? How about just in the shower? Really? That’s like asking me if I enjoy breathing. Of course I enjoy singing. And not too long ago, I said to Smitty, “I really think I need more karaoke in my life.” That has yet to happen, but maybe someday.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? If I’m me, just with a cape and tights (yikes!), my superpowers would be spelling and smelling. (And, apparently, rhyming. And miming. No, not really. But that does rhyme.) Anyway, I’m a great speller and I have a strong sense of smell that my husband has dubbed the Super Sniffer. So there you go.
- Can you do a cartwheel? Right now? Probably not. And I don’t think I’m going to find out.
- What is your favorite sound? Hands down, my husband and daughter laughing together.
- What would you do with $27.56? Get my hair cut. Without a coupon.
- Do you have any weird tricks? (i.e., double jointed? wiggle your nose?, etc.) I learned how to make balloon animals once. Does that count?
- If you had to give up one of your five senses, which would it be and why? Despite my aforementioned superpower, I’d say smell. Although I might as well say taste, then. And that’s just a sad thought.
- Do you have a favorite Bible verse? What is it? Right now it’s Hebrews 12:1b (NLT): “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.”
- Which do you prefer: car, boat, or airplane? (money is no object) Car, no contest. I love traveling, and I even love being in airports. But flying is not my fave.
I can’t promise I’ll never kick it old-school again (after all, I am the infamous Owner of a VCR), but until I succumb to meme pressure again, will you humor me by answering one of those questions, too?
If I could have any superpower, it would be to teleport. I’d love to just pop up somewhere in mere seconds. And, IMO, it’d really help me out as a mom too. ;)
That would really negate the need for the travel question, wouldn’t it? ;)
I’d also really like to be able to teleport. But if I ever figure out how to do this without becoming a superhero, I’m not going to share it with anyone (except maybe my closest friends), because then the world will just expect us to teleport to everything and so it’d expect more from us and we still wouldn’t have enough time in the day.
Ooooh, very good point.
I’m with you on the last question. I don’t necessarily dislike flying, but airplanes and boats make me motion sick!
I also love the sound of the wind through aspen trees. So relaxing! :)
Love you, Mary. Have a happy Easter!
Yes – it’s being motion sick that causes my dislike of flying. All the dramamine in the world doesn’t seem to help!
I like how you want to teach a dog not to smell lilke a dog :)
Hey, I’m going all for broke here! :)
Hands down, it’s airplanes for me. An airport is one of my favorite places on earth because the possibilities are endless. I look around and wonder where everyone is going, and I wonder what all those places look like. I got the travel bug from my grandfather and, just like him, every time I come back from a trip I’m mentally planning where I’d like to go next.
I love that you got your love of travel from your grandfather!
I must admit, I kind of miss the days when you were tagged to do certain posts like this. Fun stuff, I tell ya!
Here are my answers:
1) Blue. Or Purple.
2) If I could teach a dog a new trick, I would probably copy your answer. If I could teach the owner’s a new trick, it would be always putting a leash on. I don’t care if your dog is gentle! My 6-year-old is terrified either way!
3) I love to sing. I am just not very good at it.
4) I am not a super hero and have no idea what skill I would like best. Sigh.
6) The ocean. The wind in the trees? Kids belly laughs. All three sounds are Amazing!
7) I would blow it at Target. On something I totally don’t need.
8) I can touch my nose with my tongue.
9) Smell for sure because I already can’t smell very well.
10) I do. I love the Psalms. Of course, I love the verses about Christ’s birth as well.
11) The car – I love me a road trip!
You probably didn’t want to know all that, but it was kind of fun sharing. So thanks!
And — Long Live the VCR!
Of course I wanted to know all that! (And a big YES to dogs on leashes!!)
I love the way the country smells when you step out of your door at the break of dawn. Dew on the grass, the Sandhill Cranes and other birds chattin’ it up…kind of like fresh-cut grass but more of whole body experience. :D
I love old school, I love your blog (I gave up on perfect a long time ago – happy the way I am) and I think you are great!
Oh, and if I could teach my dogs anything new, it would be major self hygeine. Since moving to the country they both (but especially the cocker) seem to grow leaves, grass and sticker burrs directly from their skin! LOL
Hey! How did I miss this post???!!! How horrible of me to ask you to do this and then not weigh in on it…sigh.
1. I like that you call burnt sienna by it’s official title…I just call it red orange, which I know is technically a completely different color, but it just seems simpler to me…
2. Kind of cheating…I think this should have read “to give itself a bath and then blow dry itself…” although technically that is two tricks…
3. Well, the question wasn’t specifically for you only although I’m pretty sure Mel was the only other one to do it–good sports you two… :-D
4. My husband has a super smeller as well, however I think his is mostly psychosomatic…
5. Oh, come on. Try! :-D My husband was so incredibly impressed when he found out I could still do one when my kiddos asked me to…
6. I agree (though it would be my kiddos and my husband, but the point is still the same…)
7. Good choice
8. Works for me. I can’t make them…I bet Annalyn loves that trick :-D
9. I agree, although it is sad about the taste… You know, I wonder if you lose your sense of smell if your eyesight and hearing get better…
10. Good choice
11. Road trips are fun, but planes are so much quicker… it’s a toss up