Welcome to a new episode of The Couch! Today I’m here with my good friend, Shannan Martin.
Shannan is a speaker and writer who found her voice in the country and her story in the city. Shannan, her jail-chaplain husband, Cory, and their kids, live as grateful neighborsin Goshen, Indiana. She’s also one of my favorite teachers who is constantly nudging me to follow God more fully and pursue Jesus and justice in real, tangible ways. But as you might remember me mentioning a few episodes back, when I recommended her Instagram account as my not-so-guilty-pleasure, she also points me to hope, tells me about the cutest things I can find at Dollar General, and shares my love for chips and queso.
And today we’re bringing all of those things to the table (or the couch, as the case may be) as we share some of the books that have changed our hearts and our lives over the years.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we also get into quite a few TV shows, a spinach artichoke dip from ALDI, and the merits of one Will Arnett. This might just be one of my favorite episodes yet, and I know you’re going to love it too. Let’s get to it!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle
- The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns (this one is just $1.99 on Kindle)
- Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist (and also Bittersweet)
- Harry Potter & the Sorceror’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (free on Kindle, FYI)
For a full list of the books that have changed my life (so far), click here.
- The Ministry of Ordinary Places by Shannan Martin
- The Very Good Gospel by Lisa Sharon Harper
- Dear White Peacemakers by Osheta Moore
- Jesus & John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mez
- The Color of Compromise by Jemar Tisby
- Family Reunion (Netflix series)
- Spinach artichoke tzatziki dip from ALDI
- Seasonal banners on my mantel
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Shannan on Instagram at @shannanwrites or on Twitter at @shannanwrites. You can also sign up for her newsletter here. And, of course, you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post includes affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Yes! To How the Word is Passed by Clint Smith. A very good read!