A told B, and B told C, “I’ll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.”
“Whee!” said D to E F G, “I’ll beat you to the top of the coconut tree.”
Chicka chicka boom boom! Will there be enough room?
No, this isn’t bedtime stories with Mary. But if you did recognize those words, then you are going to love this week’s episode!
Katie Kenny Phillips joins me to talk about our favorite books to read aloud to the kids in our lives, and while we struggle to narrow down our choices (as usual), we do end up with a fantastic list for you.
Katie is a writer, editor, and—most relevant for today’s conversation—a children’s book author of several adorable books and a mom of five kids who, I’m pretty sure, have listened to her read a whole lot of books over the years.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where rabbit trails and side notes are always welcome, we also got into the perfect reading spot, the truth about teaching teenagers to drive, and the March watch guide I made for you last week. Okay, it’s time. Let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Reading books to our kids creates connection, empathy, and a shared language.
- My library system has a goal for parents to read 1,000 books before kindergarten.
- Click here for a list of all the books we mentioned (and more).
- Reading in the sunshine (or the shade)
- Mary’s new Watch Guide for March 2022
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Katie on Instagram at @katiekennyphillips, and you can find her books on Amazon. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post may include affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.