Could our favorite TV shows GET any funnier? Oh yeah, they can. Because as we have seen time and time again, adding the pressure and potential catastrophe of a holiday to our favorite characters in our favorite shows inevitably leads to hilarity. And sometimes a little reflection or heartwarming connection.
But mostly? Holiday episodes are comedy gold.
This week, my good friend (and good friend of the show) Kathi Lipp is back on The Couch to talk with me about our favorite Thanksgiving-themed television episodes. Kathi is a best-selling author, nationally respected speaker, and podcast host, and one of my very favorite friends to talk TV with. Just like we did in episode #94 with Christmas (and Hanukkah) episodes, we do the hard work of rewatching and remembering our Thanksgiving favorites. From slap bets and family feuds to multiple turkeys (so many turkeys), we’ve created the perfect playlist for your holiday weekend.
Of course, because this is The Couch, where side notes and rabbit trails are always welcome, we also get into bedtime shows, pumpkin bread recipes, anticipatory grief and blatant misogyny, the brilliance of Donald Glover and Danny Pudi, and Kathi’s deep disappointment in the way I still have not watched all of The West Wing. Yeah, it’s a bit all over the place, but that’s the fun of it!
Now, one note: We did record this several weeks ago. So we don’t know what new Thanksgiving-themed episodes will air this fall. Please, come tell us about any episodes you’ve watched this year that will certainly become our new favorites!
Before we get started, have you gotten your 2022 Hooked on Holiday Movies bundle yet? We’ve been watching holiday movies for weeks now, but believe it or not, we’re only about halfway through the holiday movie season! We have so much more holiday movie goodness to look forward to between now and the end of the year, and getting the bundle will make that beloved holiday pastime better than ever. Go to HookedOnHolidayMovies.com for a printable schedule, BINGO cards, movie guides, movie watching party tips, an exclusive playlist, and so much more. After all, ‘tis the season for Thanksgiving episodes and Christmas movies!
All right, let’s get started!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The West Wing – Chibboleth (S2E8)
- Black-ish – Auntsgiving (S3E7)
- Modern Family – Three Turkeys (S6E8)
- Modern Family – Punkin Chunkin (S3E9)
- HIMYM – Slapsgiving (S3E9 and S5E2)
- New Girl – Thanksgiving (S1E6)
- Everybody Loves Raymond – Turkey or Fish (S1E10)
- The Goldbergs – In Conclusion, Thanksgiving (S3E8)
- Gilmore Girls – A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving (S3E9)
- Friends – The One with All the Thanksgivings (S5E8)
- Clutter-Free Academy podcast episode #515: What to Watch While Decluttering
- Clutter-Free Academy podcast episode #516: What to Watch While Decluttering, part 2
- The Couch Podcast episode #94: The Best Christmas & Hanukkah TV Episodes with Kathi Lipp
- 6 Sitcoms That Make Us Give Thanks at MomAdvice.com
- The Gilmore Girls Guide to Surviving Thanksgiving at MaryCarver.com
- Will & Grace Thanksgiving episodes
- The turkey drop episode of WKRP
- Call the Midwife
- Chocolate chip pumpkin bread (here’s the recipe)
- Join The Couch on Facebook! It’s so much fun!
- Find Kathi on Instagram at @kathilipp, in her Clutter Free Academy community, or at kathilipp.com. And you can find me on Instagram at @marycarver or at marycarver.com.
Welcome to The Couch!
This post may include affiliate links. This means that if you click and purchase, I might receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download