I’ve mentioned a time or twenty that I love brownies made from a box mix. And though I’ve been making more and more food from scratch over the past year, this is one thing I refuse to budge on. Box mix brownies are simply delicious.
However, I’m not opposed to doctoring up a pan of box brownies, as evidenced by these super yummy S’mores brownies. Believe it or not, though I do love S’mores-flavored food, I actually love Oreo-flavored food even more. (Or Oreo-themed food. Or just plain Oreos. No, not plain. Double stuffed. With milk.)
It stands to reason, then, that combining two of my very favorite chocolate treats into one dish could not possibly be wrong. And it wasn’t! I made these Oreo brownies from Cookies and Cups last week for a snack to serve during my first Blessings Unlimited party, and Oh. My. Goodness. They are crazy rich and not healthy AT ALL, but wow, were they good!
So good, in fact, that I took the majority of the pan to Annalyn’s preschool teachers just to rid my house of the temptation! (Not before eating two. And not before saving two more. But for the record, I did not eat them all in one day!)
Speaking of healthy food – or not, as the case may be – this recipe may have to tide us over for a while in the sweet treats department. Since I’ve returned to Weight Watchers [again], it’s just not smart for me to make these delicious desserts to share with you.
Don’t panic! That’s not to say I won’t share simple, delicious recipes every Monday. [Yes, I really am sitting here on the other side of the computer screen, imagining you all freaking out at the thought of making it through Monday without a recipe from me. Just let me have my fantasies, will you?] That’s not even to say I’ll never share another simple, delicious dessert recipe again. I’m just going to throw more healthy (or, at least, healthier) recipes into the mix. You know, stuff that doesn’t require blocks of cream cheese or sticks of butter?
Now, on with the recipe. It’s not hard, but it does have several steps, so it takes about an hour, total, to make this one. But, again, believe me when I say it is so worth it!
- 1 box brownie mix and ingredients needed according to the package directions
- 1 (16.6 oz.) package Oreo cookies, divided equally into thirds, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) tub of Cool Whip, thawed in fridge
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Prepare brownies according to package directions, folding in 1/3 of the chopped Oreos. Bake according to package directions and let brownies cool completely.
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip until smooth. Fold in another 1/3 of chopped Oreos. Spread mixture on top of cooled brownies.
- Melt the chocolate chips and the vegetable oil in the microwave on medium power for 1 minute. Stir and repeat for 30 seconds at a time, until melted. Spread melted chocolate evenly over the cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining Oreos on top of melted chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Cut into squares and watch them disappear!
Which do you prefer: plain brownies or “doctored up” brownies?
This post will be linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, 33 Shades of Green, Sweet Tooth Friday, Foodie Friday and Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home Cooks.
Yeah, those pretty much look like heaven. I will not neglect brownies in any form, but doctored-up ones are the best!
YUM and YUM.
Brownies are my absolute fave. I think I need those.
One of my favorite SIMPLE ways to doctor brownies is with dried cherries. Just stir those in the mix and they make a yummy Cherries Garcia-type brownie!
These look unbelievable! I am contemplating a return to WW. So I think I will just LOOK at the brownies. I prefer a doctored up box mix brownie!
I’ve been on a “doctored up” brownies kick lately and these sound divine!
This recipe looks delicious! I prefer doctored up brownies! Yum-o!
These do look yummy!!! Thankfully for my hips… my hubby is gluten free, so I won’t be making them. I’ll just wipe the drool off of the screen!!!
I know enough people who are gluten-free to not actually be jealous, but I am sure my hips would benefit from a lot less gluten in my life!
I love brownies and Oreos…sounds like a match made in heaven!!
I made these to and they were so good! You can’t go wrong with brownies and oreos.
Good point – how could anything containing those two ingredients be bad?! :)