I don’t know if you’ve heard or not, but the season of pumpkin-spiced everything is upon us. Fall actually is my favorite season, with its beautiful changing leaves and cold snaps that kill pollen and apple-flavored drinks (which I favor over the popular pumpkin ones). Fall is also when I met my husband and when our oldest daughter was born. So, basically, it’s the best.
Oh, and it’s also when my favorite TV shows come back on and new ones arm wrestle for space on my DVR and in my week. Even though I know that within a few weeks, I’ll have weeded out the keepers from the flops, I’m basically singing, “Make new friends but keep the old…” to the TV Guide right now.
What are you watching this fall? Which old shows are you excited to have back? Which new ones are you looking forward to giving a try?
Here’s what I’m attempting to fit in my TV-viewing hours:
- Once Upon a Time – Dark Emma? Should be interesting!
- Madam Secretary – I don’t even remember how it ended, but this is one of my very favorite shows right now.
- Castle – This is the last season, I think, so I hope they make it a good one.
- Jane the Virgin – The finale was INSANE, and I can’t wait to see how they resolve all the cliffhangers.
- NCIS – Gibbs is shot? For real? An NCIS without Gibbs is no NCIS of mine…so it’s a good thing I read he’s going to be okay. Eventually.
- The Mindy Project – This one was picked up by Hulu after FOX cancelled it. It’s a little racier this way, but still funny enough to keep on the regular rotation.
- The Flash & Arrow – Both had big endings in the spring, and it’s funny how the lighter show (Flash) had the darker ending, while Arrow is usually the heavier show and had a lighthearted ending. No matter, I can’t wait for both of them to be back on my TV.
I’m sure I’ll watch Brooklyn 99, too. And, don’t judge me, probably Undateable. I don’t know, guys. It’s just funny. Oh, and I’ll also watch New Girl and MARVEL’s Agent Carter when they come back.
Okay, first of all, can I just take a moment to say that THERE IS TOO MUCH TV out there?! And it’s not even contained to the television. Now we’re supposed to keep track of new shows on Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and who knows what else?
Not me. I don’t know. I cannot possibly keep up with all of that. So here are the shows that I know about and want to watch. I have undoubtedly missed something. It’s better this way – for me and my DVR.
- Quantico (9pm CST on Sundays, ABC, premieres September 27) – This isn’t a Shonda Rhimes show, but the preview pretty much screams, “Grey’s Anatomy in the FBI!” So, obviously, it’s must-watch.
- Blindspot (9pm CST on Mondays, NBC, premiered September 21) – A naked woman, completely covered in tattoos, is found in the middle of Times Square with no memory. But she can speak Chinese and fight bad guys, and her tattoos may possibly be clues for preventing crimes. I’ve read lots of reviews saying this can’t possibly go well, but I’m giving it a try for now.
- Supergirl (7pm CST on Mondays, CBS, premieres October 26) – I’ve watched the preview for this show at least three times, and I find myself grinning at the computer each time. It looks like it’s going to be as fun as the last Superman movie was dreary.
- The Muppets (7pm CST on Tuesdays, ABC, premiered September 22) – I’m nervous about this. It’s waiting for me on my DVR right now, but I’m afraid to watch it, afraid the critics are right and that it will be too cynical, too joyless. Have any of you watched it yet?
- Limitless (9pm CST on Tuesdays, CBS, premiered September 22) – Based on the movie with Bradley Cooper, this wasn’t on my list – until I watched the preview. Then I thought maybe it would be worth watching after all. And then Mark watched trailer and said he really wanted to watch it, so I guess we’ll be watching it.
- Grandfathered (7pm CST on Tuesdays, FOX, premieres September 29) – John Stamos is playing John Stamos. And it looks adorable. Ridiculous, but adorable.
- The Grinder (7:30 pm CST on Tuesdays, FOX, premieres September 29) – Rob Lowe and Fred Savage? Yes, please.
- Angel from Hell (8:30 pm CST on Thursdays, CBS, premieres November 5) – Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson (the girl from Psych) are in this sitcom. I don’t like that title and I don’t need another sitcom to watch. But…then I watched the trailer (why?! why do I do this?!), and it cracked me up. So I’m going to watch it. So there.
I’m also going to check out at least the pilot of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on the CW. It has a terrible title and its description doesn’t sound good, but you guys, it’s a musical! So, I don’t know, maybe it won’t be as awful as it seems?
I know. I can do the math. That is WAY TOO MUCH TV for one person to watch! We’ll see what ends up sticking for the whole season…and what gets kicked off the DVR.
Now it’s your turn. What are you watching this fall?