I don’t know if you’ve heard or not, but the season of pumpkin-spiced everything is upon us. Fall actually is my favorite season, with its beautiful changing leaves and cold snaps that kill pollen and apple-flavored drinks (which I favor over the popular pumpkin ones). Fall is also when I met my husband and when our oldest daughter was born. So, basically, it’s the best.
Oh, and it’s also when my favorite TV shows come back on and new ones arm wrestle for space on my DVR and in my week. Even though I know that within a few weeks, I’ll have weeded out the keepers from the flops, I’m basically singing, “Make new friends but keep the old…” to the TV Guide right now.
What are you watching this fall? Which old shows are you excited to have back? Which new ones are you looking forward to giving a try?
Here’s what I’m attempting to fit in my TV-viewing hours:
- Once Upon a Time – Dark Emma? Should be interesting!
- Madam Secretary – I don’t even remember how it ended, but this is one of my very favorite shows right now.
- Castle – This is the last season, I think, so I hope they make it a good one.
- Jane the Virgin – The finale was INSANE, and I can’t wait to see how they resolve all the cliffhangers.
- NCIS – Gibbs is shot? For real? An NCIS without Gibbs is no NCIS of mine…so it’s a good thing I read he’s going to be okay. Eventually.
- The Mindy Project – This one was picked up by Hulu after FOX cancelled it. It’s a little racier this way, but still funny enough to keep on the regular rotation.
- The Flash & Arrow – Both had big endings in the spring, and it’s funny how the lighter show (Flash) had the darker ending, while Arrow is usually the heavier show and had a lighthearted ending. No matter, I can’t wait for both of them to be back on my TV.
I’m sure I’ll watch Brooklyn 99, too. And, don’t judge me, probably Undateable. I don’t know, guys. It’s just funny. Oh, and I’ll also watch New Girl and MARVEL’s Agent Carter when they come back.
Okay, first of all, can I just take a moment to say that THERE IS TOO MUCH TV out there?! And it’s not even contained to the television. Now we’re supposed to keep track of new shows on Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and who knows what else?
Not me. I don’t know. I cannot possibly keep up with all of that. So here are the shows that I know about and want to watch. I have undoubtedly missed something. It’s better this way – for me and my DVR.
- Quantico (9pm CST on Sundays, ABC, premieres September 27) – This isn’t a Shonda Rhimes show, but the preview pretty much screams, “Grey’s Anatomy in the FBI!” So, obviously, it’s must-watch.
- Blindspot (9pm CST on Mondays, NBC, premiered September 21) – A naked woman, completely covered in tattoos, is found in the middle of Times Square with no memory. But she can speak Chinese and fight bad guys, and her tattoos may possibly be clues for preventing crimes. I’ve read lots of reviews saying this can’t possibly go well, but I’m giving it a try for now.
- Supergirl (7pm CST on Mondays, CBS, premieres October 26) – I’ve watched the preview for this show at least three times, and I find myself grinning at the computer each time. It looks like it’s going to be as fun as the last Superman movie was dreary.
- The Muppets (7pm CST on Tuesdays, ABC, premiered September 22) – I’m nervous about this. It’s waiting for me on my DVR right now, but I’m afraid to watch it, afraid the critics are right and that it will be too cynical, too joyless. Have any of you watched it yet?
- Limitless (9pm CST on Tuesdays, CBS, premiered September 22) – Based on the movie with Bradley Cooper, this wasn’t on my list – until I watched the preview. Then I thought maybe it would be worth watching after all. And then Mark watched trailer and said he really wanted to watch it, so I guess we’ll be watching it.
- Grandfathered (7pm CST on Tuesdays, FOX, premieres September 29) – John Stamos is playing John Stamos. And it looks adorable. Ridiculous, but adorable.
- The Grinder (7:30 pm CST on Tuesdays, FOX, premieres September 29) – Rob Lowe and Fred Savage? Yes, please.
- Angel from Hell (8:30 pm CST on Thursdays, CBS, premieres November 5) – Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson (the girl from Psych) are in this sitcom. I don’t like that title and I don’t need another sitcom to watch. But…then I watched the trailer (why?! why do I do this?!), and it cracked me up. So I’m going to watch it. So there.
I’m also going to check out at least the pilot of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on the CW. It has a terrible title and its description doesn’t sound good, but you guys, it’s a musical! So, I don’t know, maybe it won’t be as awful as it seems?
I know. I can do the math. That is WAY TOO MUCH TV for one person to watch! We’ll see what ends up sticking for the whole season…and what gets kicked off the DVR.
Now it’s your turn. What are you watching this fall?
I can only handle a couple of shows at a time–ha! So this fall it’s The Voice, because of course (we always watch it). And then last week the premier of Blindspot was on after The Voice, so we watched and totally got hooked. I’m not sure it’s going to change the TV world in any possible way, but I think it’s sort of like a Bourne movie–person gets amnesia but can do all sorts of crazy things while they try to figure out who they were before they “woke up.” I’m in. Oh, and Quantico looks good too. :)
I only watched a handful of shows this summer and liked it so much better than this glut I find myself with this season. I might just let a few of these shows stack up on the DVR so I’m not trying to watch all of them every week. Ain’t nobody got time for that! ;)
I’m with you Mary – too many options! Where were the shows during the Summer for goodness sake?! I, too, like Undateable and am shocked that it is back but I find it quirky and funny AND ridiculous all in an almost “train wreck” kind of fascination. Just the facial movements of the one character keep me entertained. And the other guy can really sing! I watched Blindspot and want to watch more (at least for now) and I cannot wait to see Elementary and Person of Interest. But I will set the DVR so I am not tied to the tv and its times and so I can do so with my Hubby when we agree on the show. LOL. Best of luck to you! Lina
Haha, Lina, I’m glad to find out someone else is watching Undateable! :) And a big YES to the DVR. I never watch shows when they’re on!
I love your list! I read your list last year, too. I’m really looking forward to the Flash and arrow shows, too. I’m also really looking forward to limitless and supergirl.
I watched the Muppets, and the critics are right. It was totally unfunny. Like, I didn’t laugh once. I don’t know if they were going for dramady, but it was way more drama than comedy.
Yeah, I watched the Muppets last night and just didn’t love it. So disappointing!
I love your TV posts. My husband does NOT get my interest in TV but what can I say, I’m a sucker for some good characters!!
Me too! It’s the characters that get me, every time!
Love, love, love Madame Secretary! And you’re right, no Gibbs is not NCIS, unless it is NCIS New Orleans! Check out CS: Cyber when it comes back. Awesome show!
I don’t think I can handle another procedural cop show. It seems like that’s all I watch! :)
I don’t watch much TV. So, uh, Big Bang Theory and Modern Family? I wish CW was not so stingy and they would put season 1 of Jane the Virgin on Netflix. I watched the first 5 episodes but wasn’t ever able to watch the rest to catch up last year. (Because even in the summer they didn’t have all the episodes on Hulu or anything.)
Oh yeah, I really wish you could watch the rest of Jane the Virgin, too! Is it on Amazon Prime? I guess if you looked everywhere else, you probably looked there, too. Boo.
I just saw it’s going to be on Netflix. Woohoo!!!
I’m LOVING Quantico!!! How are you liking it so far?
I haven’t watched it yet!! I need to catch up before I’m so far behind I just give up!