My brother is back on the podcast to talk about musical TV shows, episodes, and scenes — and we are so proud of ourselves for not breaking into song and dance a single time. It’s a miracle! (Yes, I did sing that in my head.)
Because we are both super psyched about the new NBC show, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (you can watch the pilot here), we decided to deep dive into all of the best and all of our favorite (sometimes the same thing, but not always) singing and dancing on TV. Well, not all of it. This is already a supersized episode and that’s with some strict parameters! While we certainly would have loved to chat (fine. GUSH.) about every single note sung or played on television in the history of ever, we had to limit ourselves a bit.
So today we are sharing musical shows, episodes, and scenes from scripted shows only and almost exclusively from the past 20 years. And it had to be a thing where the characters actually did the singing, rather than a soundtrack or even lip syncing. If that’s your jam (musical pun intended), this episode is for you. Enjoy!
MUSICAL SHOWS & EPISODES:
- Dr. Horrible’s Singalong Blog
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Perfect Harmony
- Encore! (This does not fit in my parameters, but my brother didn’t follow the rules. Says his big sister. AHEM.)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (S6E7)
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (S4E13)
- Community (S3E10)
- Scrubs (S6E6)
- Psych (S7E15-16)
- Flash/Supergirl crossover
- Pushing Daisies (Hopelessly Devoted in S1E2)
- The Politician (The River in S1E1)
- 30 Rock (Midnight Train to Georgia in S2E10)
- How I Met Your Mother (Girls vs Suits in S5E12)
- Selfie (Chandelier and Wild World in S1E10)
- Chuck (Mr. Roboto in S2E22)
- Schitt’s Creek (Simply the Best in S4E6)
ALSO MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Suddenly Seymour in American Housewife, The Goldbergs, Glee, and Head of the Class
- The Couch Podcast, S1E2 – where we talk about Chuck
- The Couch Podcast, S1E7 – where we talk about Buffy
- The Couch Podcast, S2E2 – where we talk about Pushing Daisies
- You can also hear James on episodes S2E7 (Wizard of Oz) and S2E19 (Christmas TV specials).
- You can find me at marycarver.com or @marycarver on Instagram.
- I’ve curated a great bunch of fun shirts for fans of many of the shows we talked about today. Check it out at TeePublic.
- And I’d love for you to join us over at The Couch Facebook group, a fun, judgment-free zone for anyone who loves talking books, TV, movies, music, and more.
Welcome to The Couch!
Click here to download or listen below!
By the way, these notes may include affiliate links. That means if you click and purchase, I might earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.